Friday, May 15, 2009

Nostalgiarific!

One day I was having a conversation in the Kid's Book section of the shop when I happened to see a book we had on a new display. I stopped mid-sentence. It's a book I haven't seen in years: Saint George and the Dragon. Back before I could read, it was my favorite book. I would check it out from the library every single time we went in. It was the beginning of my obsession with dragon books, the first love that led to the rampant Anglophilia of my youth. Seeing it again was like reconnecting with an old friend, and it put a giddy smile on my face for the rest of the day.


It is simply amazing how much a story from that long ago can affect me, and how much affection can be personafied by a book.


Not too long after this, a customer brought us a used copy of a book called The Last of the Really Great Wangdoodles by Julie Andrews Edwards. This was turning out to be the greatest week ever, I immediately recognized this book too! My school teacher read it to my class when I was about 9 years old. It's a completely enchanting and fantastical adventure story written by Julie Andrews (of Mary Poppins and Sound of Music fame). Just seeing this book brought back a flood of happy memories. So, the next time we got a copy in to the store, I bought it and took it home with me.

Turns out you can buy happiness, and it only costs $6.99 plus tax.

-Wally

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home