Tuesday, September 1, 2009

It Rained Books Today!

It's September 1 and we had an entire bookcart of new releases so we decided to have a book eating party. Needless to say, we all left feeling quite full. Normally we have new releases on Tuesday, but this is the second week of truly wonderful titles that I can't wait to share. I'm going to feature just the picture book read alouds today, but over the next few days I'll be sharing my favorite middle grade readers as well as books for young adults. So here we go. . . .

I want to begin with what I think will be one of the favorite titles of this season. Harry and the Horsie by Katie Van Camp, illustrated by Lincoln Agnew. Not since Knuffle Bunny have I read a book that led me back to that special relationship between a child and their furry companion. I can see my own son in this book, especially when he goes out in search of his beloved Horsie though all the magic of space.

I missed Henry and the Buccaneer Bunnies ($6.99) by Carolyn Crimi Ills. John Manders, when it released in hardcover, but just in time for national talk like a pirate day is this delightful story about Henry, the son of Barnacle Black Ear, the Captain of the Salty Carrot. Henry loves books, not booty and is very unappreciated until a terrible storm churns up a host of challenges for Henry to solve. This has become a favorite with my 5 year old son for betimes. It's lots of fun to read so I won't be sad if I read it over and over.

The Library Lion,by Michelle Knudsen, Ills. Kevin Hawkes, a book beloved by many, has just been released in paperback as well and this gentle story about the love of words and the value of breaking the rules occaisionaly, but only occaisionaly has many messages for us to share. If you missed this story in hardcover, it's one to pick up today because it's also a great way to start the school year.
Love your locals and love your kids and check out these titles at our shop.


Happy Reading
Laura DeLaney

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home