Sunday, May 23, 2010

The weekly conversation

Hello everybody.  It's Shellie and it's time for my Sunday blog.  I heard through the grapevine that I actually have people reading this.  This is so exciting for me!  I thought I was just whistling in the dark every Sunday.  But let's get down to business, shall we?

In our house, usually around 5:30pm but sometimes as late as 6:00pm, there is a conversation that regularly occurs between me and my husband.  It goes thusly:

Me (with a heavy sigh):  What sounds good for dinner?

Husband (with an equally heavy sigh):  I don't know, what sounds good to you?

Me:  Well, what do we have?

Husband:  I don't know.  Check the pantry.

At this point, our children start circling us like hungry wolves howling their chorus of: "Mom, I'm hungry!  What can we eat? How long until dinner?"


Enter the book that I am absolutely fascinated with this week:  SOS! The Six O'Clock Scramble to the Rescue: Earth-Friendly, Kid-Pleasing Dinners for Busy Families By Aviva Goldfarb.

There is a lot to love about this book.  First of all, the recipes are both reasonably quick to make and healthy. 

I love that the recipes are separated by season!  This makes them both economical (it's cheaper to buy in-season) and earth friendly (you are more likely to find your fruit and veggies at a local farmer's market).

Lastly, this book has a wide assortment for vegetarians (like yours truly) and non-vegetarians alike.  I love the fact that the recipes are delicious and have a touches of global cuisine, for example:  Greek Pasta Salad, Tandoori Chicken and Huevos Rancheros.  But they are still simple enough for the beginnner.

I think this would make a wonderful present for the harried mom (or dad) you know and love.  Who knows?  They may be so grateful, they may even cook for you!  Have a great week!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home