Monday, January 28, 2008

One for the Gamers: Dork Decade

Those of you who know me know that I have two hobbies, reading and playing games. The collection that I read yesterday combines these two. Dork Decade, a Dork Tower 10 Year Anniversary Color Collection by John Kovalic.

Dork Tower chronicles a group of gamers, who live out their "real" lives as a link between their games of Dungeons and Dragons, Vamipre role playing, and gaming conventions.

As in any cartoon that has as its source of humor a subset of society, the cartoons are much funnier if you are on the inside. If you have ever played D&D or been part of a misunderstood group, you will find the humor here.

I like the way that Kovalic obviously loves the people and hobby that he draws. When he has his characters discuss, seriously, the differences between the X-files and Scooby Doo, or try to find obscure game books at a bookstore only to be asked about playing in the sewers I laughed out loud.

I must not be the only one, as there are reviews from USA today as well as gary Gygax on the back cover. I hope that Kovalic makes it another 10 years.

---Bruce

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home